- Andrew JK Tan
Seagate Backup Plus Hub - An Introduction to another storage gem
Thanks to PRGalleria again , I was introduced to the Seagate Backup Plus Hub. Unlike photography (cameras/lenses) , I do not really spend that much time scanning the web to look for storage / backup solutions that are available to consumers , so it was great to be introduced to another really cool & useful product hence the sharing !
So what does one get with the Seagate Backup Plus Hub ?
Refer to the following image
- I received the 4TB PC-MAC version (Black in color) , there is a MAC version
- A very well designed power supply with easily interchangeable power plugs
The Seagate Backup Plus Hub comes in 2 different versions with different capacities
1. Seagate Backup Plus Hub for MAC - 4TB , 8TB (Silver casing)
2. Seagate Backup Plus Hub - 4TB , 6TB , 8TB , 10TB (Black casing)
As this blog is an introductory one on this product , I will share my initial reasons on what I really like & my initial perceptions on the Backup Plus Hub , so here goes:
1. The #1 reason why I love this product is the integration of 2 high speed USB 3.0 ports
- Now I will not run out of USB ports anymore when used with my MacBook Pro
- These two ports can be used as charging ports which is GREAT !!
Image shows how I am using the Backup Plus Hub.
Backing up & connected to my MacBook Pro while charging my 12.9" iPad Pro & iPhone 6S+ at the same time & I still have 1 USB3.0 slot not in use
Charging speed is as fast as when I connect my devices to their dedicated chargers.
That's Just GREAT !!
2. Much More flexibility when I am backing up my images !!
Images stored in say my XQD card can easily be backed up to my MacBook Pro , to the Seagate Backup Plus Hub AND another storage device all at the same time , that's backing up to 3 storage devices at one go. This is so convenient & there is definitely a lot of time saved when used in this manner.
3. The Seagate Backup Plus Hub is small and light.
I can easily move it around and even bring it on my photography trips if I really wanted. As of now , I have set it up in my living room and am using it to do backup operations AND charge mobile devices with my MacBook Pro while watching TV !!
4. To top it off , I can still charge my devices when the storage drive is NOT in use
This means that I can disconnect the drive from my computer and I can still charge my devices as long power is still supplied to the Hub , another extremely useful feature.
5. Compatible with both WINDOWS & MAC without the need to reformat
An extremely useful feature which is great for users that use BOTH formats in day to day work.
My Backup Plus Hub is the WINDOWS version / MAC compatible. All I needed to do was to download the PARAGON driver for MAC and I could immediately connect AND use the Backup Plus Hub without any reformatting which is cool !!
6. Initial perception is that the Seagate Backup Plus Hub is really fast
The Hub seems really fast , from initial use it seems to be even faster then my LaCie Rugged external storage. More speed performance commentary in an upcoming follow up blog.
7. Flexible Backup functions
The drive also includes the Seagate Dashboard backup software, with three different backup functions: PC Backup, Mobile Backup and Social, to back up your computer, your mobile devices and your social website data (Facebook, Flickr and YouTube) respectively. More on this in a my follow up blog.
So this is one Backup Device that has many really useful features which to me is just perfect. I wished I had discovered the Seagate Backup Hub much earlier.
Lookout for my follow up blog sharing my experiences as I spend more time using this really cool product.
Till then , Cheers ......... Andrew